2013 BPN Top 150 Prospects

It has been a long off-season but Opening Day is finally here and with it comes the release of the BPN Top 150 Prospects for 2013!

As you peruse the rankings you may notice differences between the Top 150 and the individual team Top 15 lists. I did not remain bound by my Top 15 rankings during this process. If I learned new information since the release of a team Top 15, that information was incorporated in the Top 150 rankings. You will see some players higher, lower, etc., in this list than in previous off-season lists. Also, I have linked to all of the scouting reports I have on file for players in the Top 150 (117 of 150 players have full reports). As you click through to the scouting reports, please note the date of publication. Scouting reports are not static; they change over time as players develop, and that is important to remember if you click through to a scouting report from April of last year.

As always, I hope you enjoy the rankings! I’ll try to pop in and answer as many questions as I can in the comments section!

1. Oscar Taveras, OF (60) – St. Louis Cardinals – Scouting Report
145. Marcus Stroman, RHP (NR) – Toronto Blue Jays – Scouting Report
146. Jose Iglesias, SS (102) – Boston Red Sox
147. Rob Brantly, C (NR) – Miami Marlins
148. Edward Salcedo, 3B (NR) – Atlanta Braves – Scouting Report
149. Roman Quinn, SS (NR) – Philadelphia Phillies
150. Jake Odorizzi, RHP (79) – Tampa Bay Rays

This entry was posted in Prospect Rankings and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to 2013 BPN Top 150 Prospects

1. AS says:

Gausman at 6 is pretty crazy high. I love him and have him in both my dynasty leagues, but ranking him higher than guys like Jose Fernandez seems a little off.

• Mark A. says:

It’s aggressive, I will grant you that. I don’t see it as crazy though. I’m a huge Gausman fan. I’m not hiding from it or apologizing for it. I think he sits in the top tier of pitching prosepcts with Cole and Bundy; hell, he might be better than Bundy. I think the group behind them, including Fernandez, are half a tick behind that group.

2. MGallagher says:

What caused the (seemingly) concensus lowering of Choice and Arenado?

• Mark A. says:

I think the flaws in their respective games were highlighted a bit more in 2012. Both are still very, very good prospect, I just think the enthusiasm around them was tempered a bit as the scouting report achieved more balance last year.

3. Chris says:

Couple of questions. I like the aggressive ranking of Mondesi and what do you expect from a year of full season ball at his age? Also what did you see in Marisnick that kept him pretty high on the list?

• Mark A. says:

I expect Mondesi to hit for some average this year but he won’t be without some warts. He’s going to have trouble generating much power in 2013 but that may come down the line with some gap power. I would anticipate some serious ups and downs, but there’s so much to like there that just a full season of experience/developmental will be a success. Regardless of the bat, I expect the glove to be very good this year.

With Marisnick, I think he’s a legit center field defender with a strong arm. While he struggled to hit after his promotion last year and his approach is aggressive, I think he can hit enough for some of his power to play. I’m not sure we’re looking at a star-level player here, but I do think he will be very, very good.

4. Blazing Fastball says:

Thanks for the list Mark. I value your opinion highly. Your site is one of the best prospecting sites on the web. Keep up the great work!

5. Steve says:

Thanks for the great Top 150. Are you going to rate the farm systems as well, Mark?

6. Tim Kringen says:

Mark – Thanks for doing this, I can only guess how much work goes into it. One question: noticing the writeup on Addison Russell pre-dates his impressive debut, and the rank kind of lags the consensus. Not saying everyone should think the same, just wondering if you have doubts others haven’t expressed or if this is more caution in advance of him playing a full season.

• Mark A. says:

I’m not sure ranking someone like Russell at #69 is much of a lag, but I get where you’re going.

As I said in my A’s Top 15, I think Russell moves off the position long term, likely to third base. I do believe the bat will play there and he could still be an impact player overall, but that positional uncertainty gives me some pause. In addition, I think the allure of a great half-season debut in his draft year is enticing a lot of people to push him too high, too fast. That is something I have been guilty of on occasion and something I have been focusing on with my Accountability Checks.

7. MGallagher says:

Just wondering after the Addison Russell question, does his power still projects at 60 or is it more towards 70 now in your opinion?

8. Christopher says:

Thank you answering my prior questions. I appreciate it. I understand the logic and reasoning for not including a player like Vogelbach on the list but for a fantasy geek like me where the hitting stats only matter, between which players would you place his hit tool? Also whsy would you rank his hit future power and hit?

9. Dave says:

What is BPN’s reasoning for not including Tyler Austin in this Top 150 list?

• Mark A. says:

Simply put, I think the players on the list are better or have better potential than him. More specifically, I don’t see Austin as an impact guy at the big league level. I think he’s more of a solid player than anything special, and that wasn’t enough to get him into the mix.

10. Dave says:

I respect your opinion, but almost every other list I have seen has Austin in the top 100.

• Mark A. says:

That’s fine. I don’t think its some grand oversight to suggest Austin isn’t in the top 1% of prospects. I think he will have a solid Major League career, buy I’ll take the other guys over him at this time.

11. Bruce says:

Love seeing Gausman and Cole higher up than they appear on a standard fantasy writer list. Still think Myers is overrated and he and Fernandez should be switched. Fernandez is a special pitcher that should be at the least one ranking ahead of Gausman. But what do I know? For his age and lack of minors experience, Gausman could end up the best of the bunch.

12. Noah Baron says:

Why is Syndergaard above d’arnaud on the Mets prospect list but on this list d’arnaud is in front of him? Also, it seems that the scout qualifications for power have become out of touch with the lack of power in the present game. There just aren’t as many hitters who can hit 30 home runs as there used to be, and 18 home runs from Wilmer Flores as a 21 year old in A+/AA would be plenty for a third baseman. The old qualifications for third basemen are out of date. The only third basemen who can really hit 30+ home runs are Longoria and Beltre, and expecting that from a starting third basemen is just ridiculous.

• Mark A. says:

As I said in the lead-in to the Top 150, this ranking represents my most current understanding and opinion of the players. The two players are extremely close in value for me but some of the information I received from scouts on d’Arnaud during spring training pushed him ahead of Syndergaard.

As for the scouting scale for power (or any other tool for that matter), the scale does not need to be adjusted. The entire purpose is to maintain a scale that allows for the entire industry to speak the same language. Changing the scale because of the differences between eras defeats that purpose. The scale is fine.

13. Jeff says:

Switch Wacha and Graham

14. Duke says:

I enjoy your reports. Thanks for sharing them.

I live near Beloit and catch a few games every summer. Cherry picking the schedule has allowed me to see some big time talent… This year appears to be no different. Beloit may not be the same after Buxton and company.

I know it is early, but it looks like Buxton, Polanco and Odor will be challenging Xander for the top bat heading into 2014.

15. Randy says:

This is a great resource for baseball fans who love reading up on the future stars of The Show! One name that I was surprised not to see on the Top 150 is Jesse Hahn. His numbers are very impressive this year (0.68 era) and his recovery from TJ surgery has been a huge success. Guys who throw triple digits with high groundout numbers usually get lots of press.

16. Pingback: Cliff Notes: Prospect Lists, Archie Bradley, Sleepers and the Big Ten - Grading on the Curve - A Minor League Baseball Site - Draft and Prospect News, Blogs, Opinion and More